Friday, July 24, 2009

GRRR what a bad day

I need to vent. I was driving home yesterday from the doctor in hwy 817 coming from Strathmore when a rock from a gravel truck smashed my window. There was glass flying all over the inside of the cab, on the dashboard and all over the front seat. After collecting my thoughts and anger I swung around and chased the gravel truck north on hwy 817 (back towards Strathmore) and tried to get him to pull over. His trailer and pup were overloaded with gravel, he didn't have it tarped and he was spilling gravel all over the road - I finally got him stopped where he proceeded to yell and swear at me and another lady who's window was also hit by the same gravel stopped as well. Well the driver told me that in Wheatland county drivers were not required to tarp their loads. He took off down the gravel road to his shop yard. The other driver and myself called the RCMP and spoke to them and decided to confront the owner of the company. Of course he wasn't there - but would be back after 2 pm. I drove home in a fit of rage, phone my DH who also became anger at what I had told him. I then got on the phone to the county, to my MLA, questioned DOT about legislation, spoke to the RCMP again. And when DH came home we headed back to the business along with the other driver and spoke to the owner - he did write us both a cheque to replace the window. I am making it now my mission to get the legislation changed in the province so that all truck drivers must tarp their loads before heading down the hwy. It is currently a mandate on the traffic safety code and on traffic safety in Alberta and also a nation code of standard but it isn't enforced. I am waiting on a call from my MLA and will also be contacting my county rep. Someone could have been seriously hurt by the negligence of this driver - I don't wanna see that happen.
Here is a few pics of my windows.

1 comment:

  1. That didn't look very nice, I mean your window. Wow! Hope you get what you want. As far as the law is concerned.

    ReplyDelete